Crampons, served up with culture and color.
Mexico is a land of culture, color and climbing. Our K2 Adventure Travel trip begins with a tour of the Ancient City of Pyramids in Teotihuacan. Located just 30 miles northeast of modern-day Mexico City, this Aztec enclave once encompassed an urban core of about eight square miles and was home to about 100,000 people. We’ll also visit Mexico City’s Museum of Anthropology and shopping at a local artisan’s market. When the sun goes down the tempo picks up and vibrant nightlife awaits us.
Our two days in and around Mexico City not only offer a great cultural introduction, but help us acclimatize prior to scaling the “grande” volcanoes of La Malinche and Pico de Orizaba. Our adventure also includes a visit to colonial towns such as Puebla, Tiaxcala and Tiachichuca, where we’ll explore local markets, churches and historic sites.
Note: This trip requires prior knowledge of ice axe arrest, use of crampons and rope team travel. The volcanoes provide the ideal training ground for climbers wanting more experience in high-altitude mountaineering. While the routes on these peaks aren’t technically difficult, they offer worthwhile ascents. The climb of Pico de Orizaba requires the use of crampons on moderately steep slopes with firm snow conditions.
Recommendations for obtaining traveler’s insurance, booking flights, staying healthy, and more.
A handy checklist of mandatory and optional items to pack for your upcoming adventure.
Helpful tips for getting in shape and increasing your endurance to make your trip as enjoyable as possible.
Mexico Standard Packages
Trip Dates for 2018
- January 5 - 12
Mexican Volcanoes and Cultural Adventure
- Day 1 Fly out of the US or connecting cities with a final destination of Mexico City, Mexico. Upon arrival in the afternoon, everyone will take a taxi or Uber from the airport to the hotel. We will all meet for a team dinner.
Everyone will sleep two to a room unless you have signed up for single accommodations at an extra cost.
- Day 2 Following a good night sleep and breakfast at the hotel, we will spend the morning and afternoon at the Pyramids of Teotihuacan. Following our visit to the Pyramids, we will have a team meeting and dinner at an authentic Mexican restaurant.
- Day 3 Following a good night sleep and breakfast at the hotel, we will spend the morning at the renowned Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City. Following our visit to the museum, we will drive approximately 5-hours to the cabanas at La Malinche at 10,000ft./3,000m. Upon arrival in La Malinche, we will have a team meeting and dinner at the cabanas.
- Day 4 Following a good night sleep and breakfast at the cabanas, we will wake up early and begin our 7-9 hour hike up La Malinche, 14,176ft./4430m. Following the climb, we will drive to the village of Tiaxcala where will have a team lunch before we continue driving several hours to Tiachichuca for a good nights sleep.
- Day 5 Following a good night sleep and breakfast, we will have the opportunity to purchase any needed snacks, food, supplies etc. We will begin our 2.5-hour drive in 4-wheel drive vehicles to the Piedra Grande Hut at 13,472ft./4210m on Pico de Orizaba. We will stop for a picnic lunch along the way. Upon arrival, we will have a team hike, meeting, dinner and early to bed!
- Day 6 Summit day for Pico de Orizaba at 18,841ft./5900m! Following an early morning breakfast, we will leave at 1:00 am for a 10-12 hour climb of Orizaba! Following the climb, the 4-wheel drive vehicles will meet us at the huts in the late afternoon and drive us 3 hours to the city of Puebla for a team meeting and dinner before bed.
- Day 7 Following breakfast, we will drive 4-hours back to Mexico City. Upon arrival back in Mexico City, we will have our last team meeting and dinner together.
- Day 8 Following a good night sleep and breakfast, we will head to the airport for our flights home.
* Any deviation from this itinerary is at your own expense *
* Plan for approximately $300 per person in tips for hotel staff, bus drivers, porters, cooks and guides *
Cost Per Person Covers:
- Entrance to the Pyramids of Teotihuacant
- Entrance to the Museum of Anthropology
- All land travel in private vehicles
- All hotel accommodations (two to a room)
- All meals (drinks not included)
- Private local and K2 guide
- Guides will carry first aid kits and pulse-oximeter
Cost Per Person Does NOT Cover:
- International flight (approximately $2,000)
- Any cost if a climber abandons the trip
- Single accommodations for hotels ($500 additional)
- Approximately $300 per person in tips for hotel staff, bus drivers, porters, cooks and guides
- Travelers, Medical and Evacuation Insurance
- Alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks and room service
- Personal gear, phone communications and items of personal nature
- Ground or air evacuations, hospitalization and medication of any kind
- If you are a single registering for one of our trips, we will try to accommodate you as a double with the same gender. However, if we are unable to make these arrangements, you will be responsible for the additional fees as a single.